‘NO SHISHI’ COMMENT: Obi mustn’t be harmed… LP Reps Urges Tinubu over Okpebholo’s threat

(L-R): Dr. Peter Obi and Sen. Monday Okpebholo, the Governor of Edo State.
Kindly Share This Story

‘NO SHISHI’ COMMENT: Obi mustn’t be harmed… LP Reps Urges Tinubu over Okpebholo’s threat

The Labour Party (LP) caucus in the house of representatives has utterly frowned at the perceived inciting comments made by Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, as regards the safety of Peter Obi, the party’s presidential candidate in the 2023 elections.

Okpebholo, during a public event on Friday, warned that Obi must not visit Edo without prior security clearance, alleging that violence followed the LP leader’s last visit to the state.

“That man who says he has no ‘shishi’ came and dropped N15 million. Where did he get it from? After he left, three people were killed. For this reason, Obi must not come to Edo without security clearance,” Okpebholo said.

A statement on Saturday by Afam Ogene, leader of the LP caucus, described Okpebholo’s remarks as “uncivil, unconstitutional and unbecoming of a public official”.

READ MORE:  Rt. Hon Uko Nkole Condoles With Family Of Slain Youth......Visits Hospitalized Victims Of Police Incidence At Ebem Ohafia

Ogene noted that Obi, like every Nigerian citizen, is entitled to move freely across the country without fear of intimidation, violence, or political persecution.

“It’s bewildering to hear such an outrageous outburst from a state governor, particularly one who previously served as a senator,” the statement reads.

“What example are we setting for the younger generation when elected leaders openly issue threats or promote intolerance?

“If Governor Okpebholo could make such inflammatory remarks in public, one wonders what is said behind closed doors about opposition figures.”

The caucus also referenced an alleged threat by the governor to demolish the home of Marcus Onobun, a member of the house of representatives, days before he defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC).

READ MORE:  Ohakim Govt impactful, Okorocha Destroyed Laid Foundation- Duruiheoma *Says Uzodinma Is Doing Marvelously Based On what he met on ground

The lawmakers urged President Bola Tinubu to call Okpebholo to order, warning that no harm must come to Obi “anywhere in Nigeria or beyond”.

“It would be interesting to ask Governor Okpebholo if he will still go ahead with the demolition now that Hon. Onobun has joined his party,” Ogene said.

“The other day, it was Governor Hyacinth Alia of Benue; today it’s Okpebholo of Edo. If the ruling APC thinks it can use scaremongering to stop the growing popularity of Mr. Peter Obi, they better think again.

“Ensuring the safety of all citizens remains the fundamental responsibility of the government.”

By Famous Reporters

Related Posts

No widgets found. Go to Widget page and add the widget in Offcanvas Sidebar Widget Area.