2023 Guber: Professionals of Enugu endorse Peter Mbah, lists 6 point agenda…
The Conference of Enugu Progressive Professionals (CEPPP), a global body of professionals of Enugu State stock, has made recommendations to Barrister Peter Mbah, whom they said possess the wherewithal to give Enugu State high quality leadership.
CEPP was speaking after a global conference meeting of the group, which held at the weekend online.
In a statement signed by its Chairman, Okonkwo J. Igwe and Secretary General Jacobs Egbonwachi respectively, CEPP, while thanking Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and Enugu citizens in general for choosing Mbah, stated that a cerebral character like Barr Mbah is what Enugu State needs at this critical stage of its development.
The group congratulated the Candidate, affirming their confidence that he is bound to emerge governor. It however, said the challenges before the business mogul are many, but expressed confidence that he will hit the ground running, when elected to office.
In a two page press document, CEPP said:
“The Conference of Enugu Progressive Professionals therefore, in congratulating you and your running mate sir, Barrister Ifeanyi Ossai, believe very strongly that as a man of impeccable character and sound upbringing, what you are bringing to the table is the kind our great state needs at this critical stage of our development in Africa and the world.
“With the wide range of leadership needs of our people, as ndị Enugu, ndi Igbo, Nigerians and Black Africans, we believe that there is a lot you are going to be doing but do not doubt that you will hit the ground running. The following are suggestions of areas that we, in our different experiences are convinced need serious attention as firsts, among the projects your government would embark on-
1. Road development in the rural areas: Enugu people are majorly rural dwellers, with agriculture and trade as our mainstay. Unfortunately, most of the roads in our rural communities are destitute, decrepit and seriously needs attention. We at CEPP believe that a a massive delve into roads and bridges construction across the 17 local governments in the state will quickly launch our state into the future, and once again stand it out as the capital of Igbo land. No doubt, this will be a daunting task that will require lots of funds, but we must sacrifice every money we can to begin this massive construction site, and launch a state ‘akin to Dubai’, by the time your government is through with these projects.
2. Agricultural development: Being a farming people from ancestry, our people live agriculture by default and would usually succeed most as farmers, and traders of farm products.
It is therefore imperative that governments that desire the progress of the state and its people must focus on this field. We are asking that the incoming Administration takes a very critical look at this field given the advantages of water bodies in the State especially Idodo river.
Without any assistance at all, Enugu farmers, from Nkanu land to Nsukka, from Awgu to Agbaja, have excelled beyond expectations not only in farming and trading regular crops like rice, garri, yams etc, but we are adjudged to have the most diversity in food technology in Igbo land, (which happens to be number one in quality foods production). These special food types that need scientific development and investment could incude rarities like akidi, agbugbu/fiofio, Ukwa, ugba/ukpaka, ji ona, ọkpa, ukpo okwuru, achịcha, anara and ewa vegetables, soup condiments like okobo, akparata, ọfọ, achị and so many others that have not been given any attention by governments.
We cannot continue to focus on regular foods like rice, cassava and others that the rest of the world are competing to develop, we need to make a difference, and escalate our income in the local and international markets.
3. Water Revolution in Enugu city and the state in general – Scarcity of water has become a very embarrassing situation in Enugu State. A few years back, Enugu State has been one of the few states in the country said to lack water, where its people have contacted water- related diseases. In Enugu East zone to be precise, a large number of people were hospitalised in Nkerefi in Nkanu East LGA and Ezza Nkwubo, Enugu East LGA due to guinea worm.
More worrisome is the fact that the Enugu Water Board that prided itself in the last as the supplier of water to the whole Eastern Nigeria, including Enugu, Anambra, Abia, Ebonyi and Imo States is today practically dead. Enugu dwellers have to buy water from tankers who exploit the citizens in order to drink, cook and wash. This is undesirable and an emergency which we trust that your government can handle in the first year of leadership. We are therefore appealing that you put this at the forefront of your projects.
4. Exploration of the Mining Potentials of Enugu State, including Coal and Petroleum deposits- We have read in the news reports with gladness in our hearts, that some of the critical areas in your programme is the mining sector, we therefore will not dwell much in this.
We will only briefly mention it that, like you have observed rightly in the past, our state is very rich in mineral deposits. Apart from coal in Enugu and petroleum in…, we are aware of other mineral deposits in places like Nkerefi, Nkwubor-Nike, Owo and many other communities.
A functional Ministry of Mining and Minerals will do our people a lot of good.
5. Modern, Tech-based leadership-Every leader of the modern world must run a tech-based government in order not just to succeed but also to make explosive impacts across the country and the globe.
We have got the technical knowhow, the manpower and a populace hungry and wiling to become like the rest of the world in the InfoTech industry. We therefore solicit an expanded Otigba Railway ICT centre to be domiciled hub with supportive facilities.
6. Amusement Park and Lifestyle Satellite Town; a multipurpose park with classified zoo is long overdue. Enugu State can be a reserve for some of the finest breeds of wildlife in this part of the world given our conducive geography. To achieve these and more we appeal for an administration defined by private-public partnerships driven by people oriented policies.
We, at CEPP believe that Enugu State can become self-sustaining with an idea-driven leader like you, and we are convinced that if you take steps in the fields we enumerated, a lot can be achieved.
We look forward to a wonderful outing with you at the helm, steering the affairs of our dear state to prosperity and happiness.
Congratulations in advance.
Long live Enugu State!
Long live Nigeria!
Okonkwo J Igwe, President
Jacobs Egbonwachi, Secretary – General.